Friday, July 3, 2009

I've been giving the kids each a night to plan and help prepare dinner. They have fun looking through the cookbooks and making their lists. I hope this is something we can make a habit of. Merian chose to make a whole chicken, something I have never done before. I always just get the boneless skinless chicken tenders from Costco. I feel they are healthy, a reasonable price and I don't have to mess with all the junk the icky that comes with a whole bird. So the kids were pretty impressed when Merian and I got it out of the package and into the crock pot. Derek took it all in. He and Emma were a little bit grossed out, I think. Merian was very excited and happy. When we got to dinner she said, "we're eating a real live chicken." Derek, who usually loves chicken refused. "I'm not going to eat a dead bird," he said with disbelief each time we asked if he wanted some. He served himself some mashed potatoes and then asked for the "sauce" (gravy).

Megan has been babysitting a lot lately and Michael even got to take a job that she was called for because she was at another job. With all their activities and things, it's kind of ironic. Just as soon as I got babysitters, they're gone all the time! I'm excited for them. It's fun to see them become more independent and watch their abilities increase.

With Megan and Michael gone all the time Emma has stepped up to be a wonderful helper. She makes my life easier and more fun! I keep telling her she makes me heart smile while I watch her do all the nice, mature, service that she does.

Emma and Merian are done with tennis and, along with Megan, will start swimming lessons next week. We went to Memorial pool as a family last night to let Merian try out the pool since she was a bit nervous. She was brave, learned that she can touch the bottom with her tippy toes and it now excited to go again! Derek kept wanting to go down the slide. I'll have to get him into swimming lessons starting next session.

Michael is going to march in the Fourth of July parade tomorrow. I think he is enjoying himself. I'll have to see about getting him private lessons for next year.

I love eating lunch at the park each day. Because I'm not busy fixing lunch or cleaning up afterwards, I get to talk with the kids and really listen to them. It is so much fun!

No comments: