Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cheaper by the Dozen???

I'm beginning to be awake enough to have the state of the house really bug me. Nate and the kids have been doing a great job, but it just needs some deep down cleaning. I decided to start with the laundry room because it is the smallest and easiest. After that, and practicing calligraphy with Megan and the new set she got for Christmas I attacked the kids bathroom out of necessity. Still a small room, but by no means easy, thanks to Derek's and Eliza's creating a pink tooth paste original mural all over the wall a few months back. (Yes, it's been there a few months. That's how badly that bathroom needed a good cleaning.)

While in the bathroom I started wondering about my kids' dental habits. I hadn't been paying attention. I knew Megan brushed and flossed every day, but I wasn't so sure about the others. The fact that all the toothpaste was on the wall and there were no toothbrushes to be seen in the bathroom started making me feel extremely neglectful and slightly disgusted.

I made a chart (I feel like I'm always making charts, must be my parenting style) and headed off to WalMart for new toothbrushes and stickers. I grabbed a couple generic four packs of toothbrushes like usual and then saw the fairy and cars toothbrushes. If we were making a effort to do better at brushing, why not make it more fun? Besides, it seemed like my kids were always losing there toothbrushes and I never knew who's was who's. No one would misplace a Tinkerbell or Lightning McQueen toothbrush, right? I knew it would be a big treat, since the kids hadn't had special toothbrushes for a while and usually only got them in there stockings or Easter baskets. (Aren't I a fun mom? Don't answer.) I also had to buy special princess toothpaste and train toothpaste for Derek. Besides as a medium for expressing his artistic talent, Derek doesn't like toothpaste and will not use it. I hope this new kind would do the trick. New habits do not come cheap. Who would have thought new toothbrushes could cost close to $30?

When the kid saw what I brought home they were excited. I worried about them losing the toothbrushes and germs when they wanted to play with them, but I showed them the package of plain toothbrushes and told them that is what they'd be getting if anything happened to their character ones. Derek was thrilled about his toothpaste and not only has used it, but puts the tube back in the box when he is done. Tonight at family council I'll introduce my chart (oh, no, mom has another chart) and the stickers and we'll see how it goes.

In other news: Megan, Michael, and Emma all have parts in Beauty and the Beast. They also are on Destination Imagination teams. Merian broke her collar bone, Eliza loves to sing (Jingle Bells HEY!, being one of her favorites.), and Derek is always inventing. He found a glow stick inside a paper cup makes a handy lantern.

Everyone enjoyed playing in the snow and getting in the hot tub at the Johnson's cabin and I'm not ready to get back to school tomorrow!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Hey, I made a new chart today, too! And teeth brushing is one of the things on it. We'll see how it all goes.