Thursday, April 26, 2012

And it was good

After I had Derek I would go to bed each night feeling guilty. Either the house would be a mess or I would feel like I didn't spend enough time with the kids. I'm a to-do list person and it was depressing to see how little I would get crossed off by the end of the day. That's when I decided my mind set needed to change. I thought about how when Heavenly Father created the world, at the end of the day He would say it was good. He didn't say, "sure I created the water, but I didn't get to the plants and there's still those animals....UG!" So instead of writing to-do lists in the morning I started mentally making got-done lists at the end of each day. Sometimes it was pretty lame the pitiful amount of stuff I got done, but it was better to think positively at what I did do instead of what I didn't. I still write to-do lists, but at that time I needed the break.

Now we have been homeschooling for three years (if you don't count the year I only taught Mike) and it is starting to feel routine. I don't think it's odd that we do it, it's just a part of our life. The kids are doing well, but I am a perfectionist and I'm always wondering what I can change, what better curriculum is out there, etc. I think since I'll be teaching Derek and Eliza I need to say that the older kids regime is good and focus on the younger kids.

No comments: