Sunday, October 6, 2013

Days +11 - +17

Still no engraftment. It's been a discouraging week. After Nathan was feeling better last Sunday, we thought for sure his new cells had grafted. Dr. Martin guessed we'd be out of the hospital by Thursday, but everyday Nathan's condition does not improve and the lab work comes back with a zero white blood cell count.

We've been told it's not time to worry until day +21, but Nathan is tired of feeling worn out and being stuck in the hospital. I'm tired of trying to get him to eat and take his meds! It's a delicate balance of coercion, reverse psychology, and reasoning. :-) I know that once his cell counts begin to rise and he feels better this won't be an issue. He really has been awesome throughout all this. Dr. Martin is so impressed how he takes it all in stride.

Two PA's have told us it isn't a surprise it has taken so long for engraftment since Nathan received the highest doses of radiation and chemo. This is what was needed to have a chance to kill the cancer in his spinal fluid. Now it is time for the new immune system to take over and finish the job!

Megan and I were talking today about how peaceful we feel. I really should be more worried, but I'm not. I know we are blessed by everyone's prayers.

Megan also told me she overheard Derek's reasons why home school is better than "normal school." I'm always sure it's because they think home school is easier, but he said it was because at home school he gets to spend more time with Mom. We sure do miss our kiddos! 17 days down, 83 more to go!

***********

After I wrote this we were told Nathan had white blood cells! 120 to be exact. The lowest range of detectability is 110. Nathan lucked out because Dr. Martin admitted that if they didn't show up he was going to order a bone marrow aspiration. (Sigh of relief.) It was easy to see the doctors were relieved as well.

Nathan has not needed a transfusion for a few days. I'm guessing that means he is also producing red blood cells and platelets! Looking forward to a much better week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was wonderful to visit with Nathan on the phone today! all the sores in his mouth along with the rest of his body are healing. He really sounded great today. So happy that the graft cells are taking hold. Lets all say thank You in our prayers!

JosephJenks said...

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on Nathan's status. I also really appreciate the opportunity to get a glimpse of the thoughts, feelings and concerns you are experiencing. It confirms what I was once told by another person struggling with cancer; when one individual in the family gets cancer the whole family gets cancer, because it is felt and experienced very personally by all members of the family. Hence my awakening to the realization that so much good has been said of Nathan's resilience and uncanny cheerfulness; but do you know we admire you just as much? We are inspired by your supermom/wife example. My little family prays as equally hard for you and your children as it does for your good husband. Thank you again for the updates. Please say hi to Nathan for me. We look forward to seeing the both of you soon.