Sunday, September 8, 2013

Weekly Update

I am staring in the face of two conflicting goals. One, to always get to bed by 10:30, two, to write a blog post every Sunday. It's 10:29. I'd better be quick!

It's strange for me to be back. I can't believe it's only been a week. It feels like forever ago that I left home.

Nathan continued to have radiation this week. It really takes a lot out of him. He walks into the room looking fine and walks out looking like a zombie. Imagine being outside in the sun all day. All that radiation just drains a person. It's like getting more than a day's worth of sun in only a few minutes.

Nathan said he feels like Wesley, from The Princess Bride, when he was being tortured. He feels like the technician should say, "I just sucked one year of your life..."

After radiation, Nathan rests and sleeps the rest of the day. I'm glad his appointments are in the afternoon so that he gets a little time in the mornings. He's been able to rest this weekend and gets to start all over again tomorrow, poor guy. Three more days, then, if all goes well, he will get time off until next week when he will start total body radiation in preparation for transplant.

Megan has decided to go out for cross country! I hope she can get in and that is not too late in the season. There is a long story that goes along with this, but for now I will just say I am so proud of her great attitude.

Michael went into surgery to get pins in his wrist on Tuesday morning. I wish I could have been there, but he called me before and after the surgery. Since he won't get his cast until Monday afternoon, he has been able to stay home from school and has told me he's still able to use a video game controller by using his chin - just like he did last time he broke that arm and had to have surgery on it.

Emma is excited to have friends in her classes and is loving band. I'm excited that one of my kids is and I think she will quickly catch onto playing the flute. I love talking to her on the phone and hearing about her day. It's one of the things I missed when we started homeschooling.

Merain has a great teacher who has called me to let me know that she is doing wonderfully at school. Merian is having a lot of fun in Mrs. Little's class too and is planning on playing the trumpet. I think she will look so cute! I miss her hugs and hearing her tell me that I'm the best mom ever!

Derek has started soccer. He was so excited to do that since Brennan, Asher and Ethan all play soccer. I hope he is having fun and I wish I could be at his games.

Eliza is in Kindergarten. I'm sure she is doing great and is loving it.

Norah seems to be happy when I hear her laughing in the background as I talk to the other kids. I can't believe how much older she sounds each time I talk to her.

It is hard to talk on the phone the Derek, Eliza and Norah. Derek get's easily distracted, Eliza keeps asking "what?" and Norah just doesn't get it. I don't think it seems real to her. Tomorrow we are going to get on Skype for family night and I can't wait to talk to each one of the kids.

They are all doing so great. It is such a blessing to know that they are happy and having a great time where they are. I hate being apart, but I know this is the best situation for everybody.

Peter is standing up really well and can take a step or two. Nathan's transplant is scheduled for the day before his birthday so it looks like he will be turning one in the hospital. I think he misses the kids too. He smiles when I show him pictures. He gets lots of attention from strangers. His first words might be, "look at that curly hair!"

So, there's a quick catch up. It's about all I know from being gone! :-)

No comments: